Saturday, March 16, 2013

Why make ____?

The question has been posed to me, "why do I make the particular dishes I make?" The answer is primarily because many of them were quick and easy, thus suitable for making in college, and because they use ingredients we already have. There isn't a super-cohesive set of principles, nor do I think should there be.

However, I have ended up making many rice dishes, and I think it might be worthwhile to spend some time focusing on how rice is handled in different countries, and their similarities. (The Spanish, Balkans, and Iranians all have dishes that are basically pulao, they are known as paella, pilav, and polo, respectively.)

The first "complicated" thing I made was a chicken curry, modeled after one from a Muslim restaurant my mother used to frequent as a child. I chose this primarily because of its relevance to my cultural heritage, and will document it tomorrow.









No comments:

Post a Comment